When you are moving, there are many things that need to be done. One of the important things to be aware of is who to notify when you are changing addresses. Here are the most important people to contact.
1. Landlord - If you currently live in a rental, check your lease agreement to make sure you give the required amount of notice before moving - usually either 30 or 60 days.
2. Utility Companies - Be sure to give the utility companies plenty of notice in order to avoid a lapse in service. If you are buying a home, the utilities should be transferred into your name on the day of settlement.
3. The DMV - If you are moving out of state you will need to transfer your driver's license and car registration/insurance within 10-30 days (depending on your state).
4. IRS/Financial Institutions - The IRS needs your current address in order to mail your tax return and any other documents. Don't forget to call your credit card companies and banks so you don't accidentally miss a bill.
5. Family and Friends - Make sure you share your new address with your family and friends so those Christmas cards don't get lost in the mail!
All MRE | AP agents are licensed REALTORS® and subscribe to NAR's strict Code of Ethics, which is based on honesty, professionalism, and the protection of the public. We fully support and operate in accordance with The Fair Housing Act.