Most people believe it’s better to wait until spring to sell their house. However – waiting until spring isn’t always necessary. Here are 5 great reasons to list your home in the winter months:
1. Motivated Buyers – it’s cold, and it’s hard to get ourselves out of the house. If someone is diligently searching for a home while it’s cold, and while juggling the busyness of the holiday season, they are serious about purchasing a home. The curious neighbors or hobby shoppers – “We may buy in a year or two” – are a lot less likely to be making the rounds when the weather isn’t cooperative.
2. Less Competition – Generally there is less inventory on the market during winter months, which drives more of those motivated buyers to your house. It’s always better to be the only house on the market in your neighborhood, rather than one of 3 or 4!
3. Year End Bonuses – If a potential buyer receives an end of year bonus or payout, it’s a great time for them to purchase a home and put that extra cash towards their down payment.
4. Real Estate Agent Availability – Typically the real estate market is a bit slower in winter months, which means your real estate agent won’t be as busy as they may be in the spring months. This means more personal attention and more focus on your listing and marketing.
5. Contractor Availability – Along the same lines, contractors are generally less busy in the winter months. Many sellers need to make some repairs either prior to listing their home or during the home inspection period. Contractors will likely be more available for scheduling during winter, and you may even get a better price!